Thursday 26 January 2017

Daily Practice and Dedication

Like any walk of life, be it art, music, business or martial arts, embarking on a spiritual path requires a degree of devotion. This does not mean that one must devote themselves entirely to one spiritual tradition, nor does it mean that the arcane arts ought to be one's primary focus, but a clear set of principles or rituals should be observed to consolidate the neophyte's Will and help focus their consciousness to form a stronger connection to themselves and the divine. In this article I will briefly outline the set of devotional practices which I have recently started and how my practice has changed as a result.

I am relatively new on my spiritual path; I have spent many years reading about Magick, about the various Gods and Goddesses of different traditions, about the plethora of different practices and rituals and many other things, but only within the last two or three years have a started actually trying to practice Magick and ritual myself. I began with 'sympathetic Magick', the use of correspondences to manifest intent in the world. This consisted of wearing specific colours to attract luck, strength, health etc. Then I began incorporating the use of symbols. After a pretty hair raising experience with a poltergeist I decided to acquire an amulet or talisman. at that time I didn't know what would or would not work for me so I settled for a simple cross. This successfully protected me from further harm because I put my faith in the symbol, at least for a time. For over a year this was the extent of my practical application of Magick until I began divinatory practices, tarot cards, fire and mirror scrying etc. In all that time I had no set practice to connect to the Gods, simply calling on them in prayer in times of need. I felt rather lost and disconnected, unable to truly understand the deities I was invoking, and this had a knock on affect on all of my other minor Magicks as well; I could not concentrate during my scrying sessions (which were few and far between), nor could I properly interpret the tarot, and my prayers seemed to go out into nothingness. I began to lose faith in what I was doing, wondering if I had been doing it wrong the whole time. This was not the case.

After my wife and I began conducting rituals for the Celtic Sabbats, I started thinking about doing ritual more frequently. It was only after a friend of ours, who had started on his spiritual path a good time after we did, began praying and meditating every morning, that I decided to devote myself to a fixed daily practice. "Great!" I thought, "I've resolved to do something every day... but what exactly should I do?" My answer came in part from an Apprentice Vitki (Norse Sorcerer), Asbjorn Torvol, who began to post videos and images online of the rituals he was conducting on a daily basis. Though his practice seemed to be specific to the Nordic traditions, I was still inspired and was able to look to the various faiths I was most drawn to and borrowed elements from each of them which resonated with me.

As I live in Britain, I find that the two most common denominations of Paganism are Wicca and Norse Heathenism, so a large part of my practice is made up from these two traditions. From my research into the origins of Christian mysticism I became drawn to the Greek and Roman pagan faiths, so there is also a strong element of this in my practice also. Finally, there are hints of Buddhist and Vedic traditions thrown in. Over all, the largest contributor to my daily practice is Native American Shamanism, though this appears to have found its way into my practice without me intending for it to do so.

To begin my daily dedication I rise at dawn (whenever possible, and as close to it when I can not), for I feel it is important to align ourselves with the natural rhythms of the Earth and the Heavens. By rising at dawn I rise with the sun, and so I emulate and embody the sun in that one act. Next I venture outdoors, no matter the weather; being in the open air is extremely stimulating, especially when it is laced with winter chill, for it clears the airways of the body and supplies clean, fresh air to the bloodstream which increases brain function. The Wicca tradition, as well as the Native American practices demonstrate that by standing barefoot on grass or soil, we form a strong energetic bond to the Earth herself, being infused with that life-giving energy and consequently healing our bodies on a molecular and energetic level. Some studies have also shown that toxins are released from the body through glands in the soles of the feet, so standing barefoot on grass or soil helps to draw these toxins out where they are absorbed into the ground to provide nutrients. This natural detox method has been prevalent in tribal traditions across the world for centuries, so this is a constant theme in my dedication work. The downside to this practice is exposure; I performed my first dedication on the morning of Yule, and that morning we received the first winter frost and the ground became heavily frozen, yet I endeavoured to brave the elements and go barefoot anyway. I was advised not to do this to avoid getting ill, and I agree with this sentiment and would urge people to avoid exposing themselves to harm or illness, however I have a higher tolerance of the cold and a stronger immune system than most people I know, so I felt that I needn't worry about this.

I had set the alarm for 7am, and I awoke with bleary eyes and an aching head. The sky was deep blue with the first hints of dawn, and as I lay there trying to shift the haze from my mind, I remembered why I had chosen to rise so early. I rolled from my bed and fumbled for my thick woolen robe, then made my way into my front garden. The grass was as white as if it had snowed the previous night, but it was instead a harsh frost which had penetrated deep into the soil. The air was bitter against my ears, but the robe kept me warm. I strode across to the middle of the lawn, but within seconds my feet became numb and started to ache from the cold, so I hopped back into the porch, shaking my legs to restore feeling to my frozen extremities. After a couple of minutes I steeled myself and tried again with the same outcome. Another couple of minutes passed as I shook the blood into my feet, and I decided to try standing at the edge of the lawn where the grass was not as long, but somehow the paving slabs felt colder than they had previously and I was forced back inside before I even reached the lawn. I began to lose hope that I would be able to commit to what I had planned, but something inside me compelled me to try one more time, to not give up so easily; I knew that the sudden arrival of the frost the previous night must have been sent by the Gods as a test of my Will and determination. So out I went, running across the driveway and across the lawn to the centre where I planted my feet firmly and closed my eyes. At first I felt the sharpness of the frost on my skin, then the creeping numbness start to spread into my toes, but within a few seconds I began to feel a different sensation; warmth. As I stood there, eyes closed with my hands clasped forming an upward pointing triangle, I began to feel like my feet were becoming part of the grass on which I stood, as if merging with it, and as the feeling grew in intensity it was coupled with an inexplicable warmth spreading up from the ground and into the soles of my feet. This warmth then spread up through my ankles, past my knees until it reached my pelvis. At this point my inner vision was flooded with deep red. I began to focus on my breathing, measured and even, and after a moment I felt a tingling at the base of my spine as the red light behind my eyes grew more intense. I continued to focus on my breathing, allowing the red light behind my eyes to lighten to orange, then to yellow, and through all of the colours of the spectrum, feeling each of my Chakras align with one another. As this progressed I began to feel taller, straighter in stature, and my energy seemed to increase and my mind became more alert whilst somehow remaining devoid of any distracting thoughts.

Once my Chakras were aligned and open, I raised my arms up to around 45° angle into the air, emulating the 'Algiz' rune, representing divine life force and connection to the Gods, and began to invoke the Gods in a manner similar to the following:

"I call upon the Father and the Mother, in all their many names and guises. I call upon the Gods and Goddesses, all. I call to the spirits of the Earth and Sky, and the spirits of my ancestors. Hear my call and come to me, for on this day and in this hour, I call upon the divine powers.
Hail to the Father and the Mother, to the Order from the waters of Chaos, those forces which shaped our Universe and brought us all into divine being. Hail to Uranus and to Rhea. Hail to Chronos and to Gaia. Hail to Nut and to Rae. Hail to Anu and Inanna, and to Enki and Nin-Khursag, to Enlil and Nin-Lil, to Lilith and to Belial.
Hail to the Heavenly Host, to Jehovah, to Michael, to Shamael, to Lumiel and Gabriel, great forces of change and justice.
Hail to to the Aesir and the Vanir, the mighty forces of nature which teach and empower us; Hail to Tyr, to Odin, to Frigg and to Freya. Hail to Thor and to Baldr, to Hagal and to Loki, Hail to Skadi and to Hel.
Hail to the Olympians, benefactors of ambition and inspiration who guide us into our own power; Hail to Zeus and to Hera, to Apollonion, to Aphrodite, to Athena, to Ares and to Dionysos. Hail to Persephone and to Hecate. Hail to Hades and Poseidon.
Hail to the ancient powers of the solar wisdom; Hail to Osiris and to Isis, to Nepthys and to Set. Hail to Ra, to Horus, to Thoth and Anumbis.
Hail to the regal powers of the earth and the sea who nurture and nourish us; Hail to Anea and to Dagda, to Lugh and Cernunnos, to Rhiannon and to Brigid.
Hail to Mother Earth and Father Sky, to Grandfather time. Hail to the Spirits of the four winds and the four elements; the Sylphs of Air in the East, to the Salamanders of Fire in the South, the Undines of the Waters in the West, and to the Fae-folk of the Earth in the North. Hail to my ancestors, who teach me in my dreams. Hail to the plants and animals who are my kin and my guides. Hail to the Universe which is around me and within me. In all of your names, I give praise and stand in reverence to you. I come, rooting myself to my Great Mother, to show my respect to you. As Odin hung himself from Yggdrasil for no less than nine days and nine nights to know the Runes, so too do I surrender to the Will of the Fates, the Norns, and sacrifice my pride and ignorance to hear the words of the Gods and know the secrets of the Universe.
I then offered a prayer to the Gods, paying particular attention to those who are directly associated with the issues I was having at the time. I have continued this practice, tailoring each prayer to the changes in my situation, and with the addition of honouring the Gods and Goddesses associated with the day of the week on which I am practicing. I offered prayers of thanksgiving for the blessings and guidance which I have already received, and also thanks in advance for that which I have yet to receive. I pray to the Gods to continue to guide me and work with me and through me, and to make me an instrument of their divine grace, wisdom and compassion so that I may act as a beacon on their behalf. I pray for them to guide my thoughts and actions, to help me speak gently and truthfully, and to keep my feet steadfast on the winding path of life so that I may tread lightly and harm none. I pray for the Gods' blessings of long life, good health and good fortune for myself and my loved ones, and offer a plea for the Gods to help all those in need in the world:
For those who know hunger, let them be fed. For those who have seen war, let them have peace. For those who live in poverty, grant them riches and security. And for those who suffer sorrow and despair, grant them happiness and hope. For the plants and animals that suffer at the hands of man, protect them and keep them safe from further harm; help them remain hidden from the eyes of the ignorant and wicked, and help them to flourish and prosper in the face of adversity. Please guide humanity on a better path and show us the errors of our ways; open our eyes to our ignorance and help us to learn love, compassion and tolerance, so that we may learn to live in harmony with each other and with nature, and stride forward into a golden age where we may achieve the Great Work as one in all your names. As I Will it, so mote it be.
I then make an offering of a stone of tree branch fashioned with the symbols of my direct corresponding deities, and when the weather is fair I burn an offering of incense. I then pledge myself to service to the Gods:
I pledge myself to serve you, Gods and Goddesses, all; to be a conduit for your divine wisdom, strength, grace and compassion, to be the window through which you may communicate and act in this world. Make me the beacon of your wisdom, to guide others on the path in your names. Show me the way so that others may follow into the light of Godhood, for I am your humble servant and student, in this hour and every hour of the day, and every day henceforth until my last day.
I finally ended my dedication by facing each of the cardinal points in turn starting in the East and moving clockwise, honouring the stars and planets, the sun and the moon, marking the points of rising, zenith, setting and dormancy, coming to rest facing North.

When I first started doing my dedication work, I instinctively faced West during my invocation and prayer; however, this didn't quite feel right to me, so I decided to try facing a different direction each day to see which directions had a greater energy. I found that facing East has the least energy for me as an individual, and eventually found that I had the most enriching experiences when facing either South (the direction of the sun, moon, stars ad planets at their zenith, and the corresponding direction to my higher self), or North which actually has the greatest effect for me. I believe that this is the result of me getting in touch with my ancestors who hailed from the North and would have thought of North as being the direction from which the primordial source began to manifest the physical world, and also since my practice is heavily earth based, facing North would make sense as it is the direction which corresponds to the element of Earth. This will differ from one person t the next, as will the choices of deities; but I hope that this will demonstrate a basic example of how to conduct basic daily dedication work. Play around with correspondences, face whichever direction calls to you the most, call upon your preferred Gods and Goddesses, personalise the experience for yourself and see what changes manifest into your life. Happy honouring, and may the Gods be with you!

Enki Endymion. O(

No comments:

Post a Comment